Saturday, September 6, 2008

Yes I Am/Yes We Can

I am a community organizer.

I have spent months in the sun and rain, waiting for someone new to walk by. I have spent hours talking about childrens' health insurance, and why it's important. I have give brochures to women and men who can't afford the $25 co-pay to immunize their children, and even more who make just a little too much to qualify for assistance.

So their children go without.

I have spent days counting signatures, sending emails, making phone calls. I have been positive when the battle looked bleak, and celebrated every new supporter. I have explained the difference in levels of poverty and argued that $50,000 a year isn't enough to support a family of four.

I have gone without.

The morning after my honeymoon I worked a crowd at the political rally of a presidential candidate. Without sleep, without energy, I energized others to support our initiative. And thanked everyone who stood up for what is right.

I have argued and lost, and changed minds that were closed. I have joined forces with others of my kind, fighting for their causes as hard as they fight for mine. I have worried about getting on the ballot, it's always about getting on the ballot.

I have talked a million miles a minute, drove thousands of miles and been parched to a lisp. I have sacrificed family time, study time and personal time.

And it is not about me.
It is not about you.

It is about the 30,000 Montana kids without health insurance. It is about each of those that will be covered by the passage of the Healthy Montana Kids campaign. It is about Montana being among the last in the country for providing health care covereage for our children, and believing we can do better. It is about making sure our next generation is healthier, to make up for our own mistakes.

It is about children.
It is about women.
It is about the GLBT community.
It is about Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and Native Americans.
It is about immigrants.
It is about people living in poverty, without affordable housing or healthcare.

It is about believing America can be better.
It is about believing we can be better.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I like the way you're going about to help make this point — by emphasizing it as a partnership between parents and government. Which, ideally, is the relationship the two should have with one another. And which makes it sad that somebody always wants to throw that balance out of whack — they want the government to be all things to all people, or they want it all to be put on the shoulders of parents who, in many cases, can't do it themselves and are often too proud to seek a helping hand. It takes people like you bring the two together.

I'm proud of you. And all the more so for not making it about you.