Sunday, September 14, 2008

When Hubbie's Away ....

Wooo! Bachelorette weekend!

That's right. Craig was away for the weekend, joining the North Richland Hills Class of 88 to celebrate that they haven't seen each other for 20 years. Par-tay! He got to see his family, too. I'm nearly certain his mom wanted to hold him on her lap the whole time.

So, since back in the day I was quite the wild child, I reinstated the tradition for my weekend of singledom. I got home around 430 on Friday and ... stripped! And right into bed I went. About 10 minutes into my reading session, old friend AnnDee called me. And we talked for two hours, updating each other about our lives. Since by then the dogs were done with sleep and wanted to pee, I got dressed for the occasion and began planning out the night ahead.

Clad in my 07 MT Womens Run shirt and the running pants I've had on for three days now, the dogs and I rebelled against The Man and sat in his chair. ALL NIGHT. I couldn't find anyone to go have sushi with me, and Wendy's doesn't deliver. We were out of milk so cereal couldn't be my dinner. So with a bowl of popcorn (preceded by WW frozen lasagna) the dogs and I switched back and forth between chick flicks on our too-many-channels-to-choose-from cable. ESPN? Not tonight, baby!

Saturday I slept in. Til 8. Got all spruced up and took my pancake griddle to the Obama HQ for a breakfast. At which I was the youngest eligible voter there. I sat with some old people, and left quietly since I didn't know a soul and no one was actually talking about Obama. I can wax poetic about Biden's Planned Parenthood rating and Obama's vet policy. But gumbo and PTA? Clueless.

I figured since Craig was out caurosing, shelling out $22 for three drinks (why, back in Montaana, that'd just cost 8 bucks!), I should throw around a little dough too. I went down the street to the Academy of Skin, Hair and Nails (white trash beauty school) and had my eyelashes and eyebrows colored. Since my face looks featureless without brow crayon and mascara, I thought this would be a quick fix. Well, it wasn't quick. An hour after my arrival, I was finally finished and flourished my checkbook to assess the damage - All Ten Dollars of it. Quite the wild weekend, eh?

I bailed out on registering voters at the park (rain. icky) and grabbed a latte to head out to Miles City. Mom, Dad and I were meeting for lunch (four hours of driving for a BBQ pork sandwich. I recognize the foolishness) at 2 and I was ready to hit the road. So I did exactly what I wanted to the whole way and alternated between listening to NPR and singing Dolly and Cher at the top of my lungs. No Joe Pernice on this trip, no sir! Plus, I even went to WalMart in Miles City, where I saw the most amazing mullet since 1982. Cowboy hats and mullets go hand in hand apparently. Who knew?

When I got back to town, I got the ok from Pops to keep the pups while I went out with the girls. I meet RaeLeigh and Marlene at the pottery shop and went to town! I painted a plate for a friend and picked out a project for my next visit. Girls gone wild, I tell you!

We followed up the session at Chameleon with a trip to Barnes and Noble, where I had my first pumpkin spice latte of the season. Full sugar even! No stopping me now!

Either I've transitioned to the point where I sweat while reading or it was really hot in there, so I just stayed a little more than an hour. I bought lots of books, mostly on the clearance table. All sorts of supposed gems, including "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". See? I haven't read that yet and its supposedly required reading for the Liberal Set. Talk about rule breaker!

Hefting my sack of books outside, I had to pat myself on the back. I was ready for several weekends to come of reading, armed with 60-dollars worth of books. Girls gotta party, y'know?! I came home, took the dogs out, and popped my nightly bag of popcorn (94% fat free is key, although I will admit to gleefully pouring butter and salt on). The dogs and I watched Instant Beauty Pageant (trash) and Legally Blonde (classic) before hitting the hay with four of the new books. After three whole minutes of reading, I was conked.

This morning I woke up at 630 or so. Yuck. I started the day's chores, since Craig will be home around midnight tonite. Our relationship features a healthy dose of fear. Mine, mostly regarding his lectures about cleaning, so I started the day with making a bigger mess. Pumpkin bread was on the morning menu, but I didn't have baking soda or spices, so I went to the store and then back to City Brew for ANOTHER pumpkin pie latte. I'm a lush, what can I say?

After feeding Pops and starting laundry and doing dishes, I decided to take a break and nap for a couple hours. I woke up to the bang of a BB gun and checked my messages. I had one from old friend Mike, and we gossiped and commiserated like the old biddies we are. I love that man and even admitted to him that - gasp! - I have a scent. So if Craig asks, yes, I did spend a considerable amount of time with another man. It just so happened we were separated by 1800 miles. God Bless the Towers of Verizon.

I'm currently almost caught up on laundry, the kitchen is acceptable, the bathroom mostly sanitary. I figure if I can sweep and vacuum, I'll have more than met my responsibilities. Because you know I'm a rebel, but even a rebel's gotta have clean digs.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This whole post cracked me up. You're clearly out of control. Get help now.