Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wisdom

Most of life is pretty average. We take out the dogs, go to work, exercise and eat. Early to bed and do it again. On weekends, there may be more sleeping and eating, or some time with friends and such thrown in there.

But this week, somehow, is less than average. It has, in a word, sucked. I don't know if I'm crabby - the first one to suggest PMS will have his head ripped off immediately before I explain that I got that one 'taken care of' - or if I'm just sick of the drama, but I have written something like 6 IRs this week. I HATE writing IRs. I think that mistakes can be made and learned from without being punished, but the lying and manipulation and blatant disregard for the rules have me entirely fed up. It's not that hard to NOT break the law - millions of people do it every day. Somehow, several of the 25 men in my charge don't quite get that.

To add to the misery, my trainer was fired from the Y this week. I think it was mostly a personality conflict - she is 110% over the top, on the go, wild. And it works. Her workouts are awesome and her motivation is irreplacable. I understand it might intimidate some people but for others its just what is needed. I can run a full minute at 5 miles an hour, and that is possible only because Gera kicked my ass twice a week for two months.

So after the establishment so unfairly fired her, I agreed to try someone else. There is no other Gera, but this lady is VA-NIL-LA. She gave me a good core work out but had me doing stuff I consider 'beginner,' what I learned during Activate America. Let's get something straight - I may be fat but I'm also damn strong. I'm going to give her one more chance, then do something else. Basically, I want the training manager to train me. And if she won't, refund my money so I can go to Anytime Fitness. Which I will likely do at the beginning of the year anyway.

But I did learn something important this week, as a result of last week. I didnt go to the gym at all bc I was working crazy hours. So when I got back there on Monday, it was NOT fun. In fact, that week 'off' was SOOO not worth it. Because the truth is, I like my body most when I'm feeling strong, and capable, and it doesn't matter so much then that my butt is big or my arms flabby. Because I am a woman who is, in general, more than average.

0 comments: